This episode features a discussion of chapter 6 of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, entitled ‘The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters’. We talk train etiquette, Weasley family values and wizarding baked goods, with an installment of Hogwarts Kitchen all about pumpkin pasties.
Speaking of pumpkin pasties, here is my very basic and easy recipe for them:
ready rolled shortcrust pastry
some amount of fresh pumpkin, ideally one that cooks down soft, like Hokkaido, skinned and chopped into small cubes
one onion, finely chopped
butter or oil
optional seasonings such as rosemary, thyme or paprika
optional egg for eggwashing the pasties
1. Sautee the chopped onion in butter or oil over a low hear
2. When the onion is translucent, add the chopped pumpkin as well as salt, pepper and seasoning
3. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, over low heat until pumpkin pieces are soft and slightly caramelised
4. While the filling cools down, prepare the pastry by cutting the pastry sheet into large oval shapes
5. Place a dollop of filling in the centre of the pastry oval, then fold over until the long sides overlap. Use fingers to create a crimped edge, making sure the pasty is perfectly sealed.
6. Optionally, brush the surface of the pasty with beaten egg
6. Bake at 190°C until pastry is golden brown (around 40 minutes)